Thursday, November 24, 2011

The crisper drawer is flirting with me again...

Thanksgiving Dinner
Nick & I
water, kipper snacks, clementines, granola bars, peanut butter & bananas
in a historic Greenville cemetery

We do know how to live it up right! Spontaneous picnicking in a cemetery. In some ways, it reminded me of Paris, because the Parisians love their cemeteries & will go there to walk at lunchtime.

Right now he is coding at the kitchen table, working on his iPad app for Skritter. (You too will be able to learn to write Chinese, as if your finger is made of flame, should you so choose.) Derrick just got home & got all jazzed about the Simply Orange with Mango juice in the fridge. I am drinking tea & talking to you. (By the time you read this, I may be done, but the faint smoky scent of lapsang souchong lingers.)

I have come up with (yet another) brilliant idea. I don't know if it's ever happened to you (Okay, I know. It has.) that fruity & vegetably goodness has turned to sad, smelly slime in the crisper drawer. Sometimes I don't think to open the crisper drawer. So--I wrote a note.

Dear Laurel,
Please open me.
Love,
The Crisper Drawer

So far it has worked very well. The idea is only a few days implemented, but I think it is going to be a much more robust idea than the duct tape zipper pull replacement idea. I kept forgetting about it & starting to unzip my pants & then a few zipper teeth would bite into the duct tape & I had to wrest the tape from the zipper's little mouth &--well, I'll either get a new zipper put in or the pants will go bye-bye.

There are so many things I am appreciating on this day: Quiet historic cemeteries in which to eat a (semi) traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Crisper drawers with still edible produce. Sticky notes. Ideas. The way an external trigger (Nick coming for Thanksgiving) can spur projects to greater completion. My own mind & heart. My own body & soul.

Blog alternative:
218. Write a note from your crisper drawer. Or your hiking shoes. Or your art supplies.